Balance starts when you get out of bed

Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring Walk

It was warm.

We walked to the fish fry tonite. The boys were working there.

"E" was a runner at the fry- taking orders and running to the kitchen to get them filled. "S" was on the deep fat friers. He likes to stay there past the fish fry hours because his cousin lets him drive around the town late at night.

He is 16 and two weeks fresh with his drivers permit.

We walked behind the little one as he rode his bike ahead of us. Blooms are on all the pear trees and the smell is overpowering- It was nice to see the sun again and the heads of tulips seemed to show their bright yellow and red colors off in agreement.

Thick clumps of grass in patches still lie in many of the lawns, short semi-circled green stains marked the sidewalk from the wet wheels of lawn mowers as they made turns. The humming of mowers in the distance, the men in the neighborhood, home from work, lose themselves in their thoughts as the mowers lead them across their yards.

The discussion with Colette was about her work, their spring vacation to Atlanta, what they saw and who they stayed with. Little subjects of no consequence-but it brought a lightness to the evening.

In a week this night will be forgotten. Tonight, there was no great revelation- no great event- yet in the back of my head it will still have substance- maybe more than any other moment this week.

I often ask God to keep moments like these in a place, so I can go back and remember then when everyting seems hopeless and lost.

It's almost midnight. I am typing while I listen to my oldest boy sing and talk to the cats.

In a moment I will go up and tell him to settle down.

4 comments:

Amie Adams said...

What a wonderful reminder to live in the present.

A Citizen said...

Thanks Mamma- You know it's funny- when you travel as much as I do, you lose a lot along the side of the road. You see so many wonderous things, then you take them for granted. It's a shame...

Jessica Gottlieb said...

"Washing dishes while washing dishes"

Someone very wise once told me this.

I use it often

;)

Those children are such blessings.

Unknown said...

I remember this night well. First time S got to drive on the open road with other cars. E ran orders and tried to help make change while he ate a double order of shrimp.

Every once in a while, E would hop in my lap to tell me he loves me before running off to get more kool-aid.

I do love those kids!!

Adrienne :)