Balance starts when you get out of bed

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Compassion

A strange word.

To most people, compassion is a sense of shared suffering. It is sensing and feeling of pain that is not yours- Sometimes it exhibits itself as action in the form of altruism.

However, spiritual compassion is a different beast. Sometimes it can be defined as a form of love. Other times is a sign of pity that leads to an action.

In Buddhist terms compassion is defined as a cold, non-feeling realization that since all things are connected, your awareness should be extended to all things in the universe. Compassion to a Buddhist is an emitting a sense of peace outward to the universe. Action is not necessary.

Does compassion have a timetable? Does it always require action? Is guilt or fear the motivation behind compassion?

If that is true, if the motivation comes from a place of darkness, of fear of loss- is it still a worthy feeling?

Now some people say that you can't judge feelings in terms of worth. That they just are- there is no value system that can be attached. However, when looking at feelings of hate and of fear, I tend to think that they are less just than those of love.

If compassion comes from a place of love and awareness, is it worth more value than when it comes from a place of fear of loss or guilt?

Is compassion a luxury? Is it something that is outside the things we need to survive as a individual?

No answers-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love when I am right (ego off)! There are two kinds of compassion, where you think you are being compassionate but really you are scared shitless and have no idea how to be compassionate and then there is true compassion, which is rare indeed.

Having been really sick myself and taken care of the really sick/dying, I know all you want is quiet compassion. Otherwise you end up saying stupid things that I/they really don't need to hear.

Seeing a friend or relative being seriously ill or dying brings reality right to you, like a slap in the face. So the ego says I will tell them how to fix/deal/cope with this, when there is not a damn thing you can do except keep it quiet, be supportive, ask what they need.

Jessica Gottlieb said...

I printed this up and tossed it into my purse.

Your blog prompts me to behave better.

Tossing a Jewish bent into it (and there are so many BooJews out there) I would use compassion as a verb.

To act with compassion is (in my opinion) of more value than feeling compassionate.

I often try to see the world through my children's eyes. It makes me a better mother. Today I'll attempt a look at the world through my neighbor's eyes and see if I can become a better part of my community.

I like this post.

I like it a lot.

A Citizen said...

"--just because you feel it doesnt mean it's there." t yorke

Values and feelings don't exist in the material sense. You can't touch or taste them, yet it drives our lives- They exist because of us-

I think though- you alwyas have to check to make sure they are real-