Balance starts when you get out of bed

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Nordic Walking

Happy St. Patty's Day! You remember how I mentioned that Nordic Walking looked 'dorky'? Well, for the last two days I have been "dorkily"(is that a word?) walking around the neighborhood.

This sport ROCKS!!

For some reason, the walking in Finland resonated with me, maybe not at the time- but as some people know, that is how I mentally process things. I need to creep up on it.

In Finland, I was cranking without the shin splints and joint pain I normally feel with outdoor walking. Indoors, on a treadmill everything is good, outdoors it really hurts on everything from my feet to my hips. A lot of this is because I was an ex-swimmer, my upper body was always stronger than my legs. Now I can use my upper body when I walk. SWEET!

I got these poles yesterday- I have taken two walks- I averaged about 2 miles per. Two things- I didnt feel the usual pain in my hips when I walked up the hill, the second is that my lats felt the burn because I was walking pretty fast. I cranked on OK Computer on my Ipod and watched the spring time clouds pass overhead as I moved through the development. Some people driving took a double take, I am sure that this is the first time this has been seen in this part of the world.

My life is shaping into this weird combination of insanity and wonder lately. This is a healthy symptom I suppose. Between the Veganism, Contra, Radiohead, Carbon Emission Worry Wort and now Nordic Walking I am sure I fit some demographic.

Maybe I am becoming European. Its like Euro-borg, "La résistance est futile"!

1 comment:

ClaireWalter said...

I chuckled when I read your lead sentence to this post, because my husband wryly calls Nordic Walking "dork walking with sticks." I posted a reply to your query on http://nordic-walking-usa.blogspot.com ("Just Walkin' in the Rain" thread).