Balance starts when you get out of bed

Friday, March 23, 2007

Pigtown Fling

Every year in March, they have the Pigtown Fling here in Cincinnati. It is a large gathering of the regional Contra Dancing community (which is a wonderful mix of aging hippies, college people, retirees and NPR listeners) that goes over three days. The ages of the people range from 10 years old to 90. We have anywhere from 300 to 500 dancers on the floor at one time- It's a sweaty riot of mass confusion, movement and most importantly of all laughter-

ANYWAY, I helped set up this year- I hung pig shaped lights from the ceiling of the caffeteria of the local high school where the dance is going to be held. As anyone who knows me knows- I HATE putting up lights- If it were up to me, I would leave Christmas lights up all year, just so I wouldn't have to put them up again. So what is the first task I am handed at Pigtown? Hanging lights- Karma has a funny way of biting you in the ass.

When I walked into the gym, where the dance is going to be- a couple of kids sitting on bikes were standing outside with confused expressions on their faces. There were a lot of middle aged people hanging signs, lights and gigantic bamboo branches over the floor of the gym.

One kids goes to the other- "Whats going on here?"

The second kid goes, "I dunno, must be a prom for old people"!

I am still laughing about that-

No comments: