Balance starts when you get out of bed

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Mystery of Weight Loss Part 1

It seems a mystery to people- why do they gain weight? There is an entire Pandora's Box of emotions mixed up with it- Anger, guilt, love, self hate, need- all mixed into the elemental need to eat food. We forget in the mix that eating has the same priority as breathing air.

Without it we die.

About two weeks ago, I had an associate call me up and ask me how to lose weight. I gave him a somewhat complicated answer, one I am sure he was not looking for. I modified an excel spreadsheet that I use and emailed it to him.

We haven't talked about it since.

I know how to lose weight. It's taken me close to fifty years to "get" it, but now I do. From the outside, it seems ridiculously simple, reduce intake- increase output.

Push/Pull-

Ying and Yang.

But it's not. There are a lot of really scary forces at work here. Here is one of secrets to the mystery of weight loss-

Know what you are eating. Most people don't want to know- If we ask too many questions about that hamburger, diet coke or those fries, well we might find out some really uncomfortable facts. It's not the fat or the carbs that are keeping you fat with a meal like that, it's what is in the meal that is keeping you fat. It's the journey of how that meal got to your mouth that is important.

That hamburger isn't just one cow, but hundreds of cows that are mixed together in the big grinder, cows that have been fed during their short lives antibiotics, growth hormones and liqufied corn fats.

The fries have been fried in beef fat or worse, some sort of acetate that tastes like beef fat- that isn't even a food. It's something else that comes from a lab.

That diet coke has chemicals that are not meant for human consumption. The molecular breakdown of diet coke is closer to embalming fluid than it is to a food. The irony is that drinking the stuff will make it harder for you to lose weight.

If you know what you are eating, chances are you will make a different selection. Try and eat stuff that you can identify where it comes from- It's a challenge because there is a lot of money between you and the people who make the food that says you will never know what you are eating. I will be talking more about this later on- I will try and write it down in small bits, because it is a huge subject, but an important one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No bloody half done cow for you? LOL!

You know it is also "why" one eats too? If you add the what to the why then the "lightning bolts" really start to go off and you get it. Great topic though, most people don't want to know and they should.

When my grandmother was in her 20's she read about the slaughter houses in Philadelphia and that was the end of her meat eating days. She is 88 now and was 20 when she quit eating meat and poultry.

I am not sure why I quit eating red meat. Never really cared for it I suppose, then just the idea of it made me ill.

Jessica Gottlieb said...

Patiently waiting for part 2.

I'm a liar.

I'm impatiently waiting and also reading books you've guided me towards.

Weight loss is not an issue for me but a good relationship with food is critical.

Balance.

Amie Adams said...

Here via POH. Great blog.

Thanks for the thoughts here. Thinking of diet soda as embalming fluid may just help me break the habit. It just stinks I can't keep any vices.