Balance starts when you get out of bed

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Last night

It was the Seconds Saturday contra dance in Wyoming, OH (an older suburb of Cincinnati). I danced for about an hour and some change, but my heart wasn't into it for some reason.
I decided to go outside and sit on the porch. The sky was clear, but the wind was high- moving the trees around. The old victorian style houses that populate the neighborhood of that part of Cincinnati looked spooky, bathed in the street light. The porch was dark. I sat on the cement steps and watched the trees move around for about an hour. Inside the ballroom, I could hear the muffled sounds of the band and the echos of the caller, calling out moves. I wondered how many nights like these had these old steps seen.
I don't know much about The Wyoming Arts Center's history. It is an older building, built in the 30's. Its an odd building with several floors of large meeting spaces, so I am pretty sure it wasn't a private home. What it is today, is a place for children and adults to learn how to play music, dance and create art. It is always busy, with people walking in and out of it with musical intruments tucked under their arms. It makes me happy that places like this still exist. Places with connections to the past. There are too few of them. Here is a link to their site:
This was the last dance we will be going to for a while there due to my wifes illness. She is going in for surgery on Monday. I am sure it will be there when we get back- like the wind and the trees, and those old cement steps. I look forward to being there again.

3 comments:

Amie Adams said...

I'll be thinking of you and your wife tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

This is kind of an old canard but still it provides a frame of reference. I am so glad Colette is just at stage 1. We have had clients who have been at stage 4 and have completely gone into remission.

What Cancer Cannot Do

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit.

Anonymous said...

The Wyoming performing arts center used to be the home of Wyoming lodge #186 Free & Accepted Masons. The lodge moved from that beautiful building due to a decline in membership but still exists a few miles down the road on Shepherd Ln.