Balance starts when you get out of bed

Monday, May 21, 2007

The gift of Gauis

There is a quote I grew up with-

"God grant me the gift of Gaius, so that we can see ourselves as others see us"

I was thinking about that phrase tonight- I was wondering if the Gaius mentioned was Gaius Plinius Secundus or otherwise known as Pliny the Elder that lived in Rome around 79 A.D. ?

EDIT: A friend pointed out to me that the Gaius mentioned was a biblical reference, the person who John was writing to in John 3.

Google, all source of the knowledge of mankind wasn't very helpful.

I wasnt very helpful today either. Working out the details of the chemotherapy with the doctor today. When asked my advice, I was angry and fearful. I didn't like the doctors. Doctors need to be like pilots- they need to be reassuring. This guy was all over the map- he wasn't reassuring.

It made me mad.

The microscopic cancer cells that were potentially in my wifes body made me mad.

Washing the dishes, doing the laundry, trying to keep my attention on my job- made me mad.

In the end I went back to the quote- In order to see yourself, you need to step out of yourself- give us the gift to be outside ourselves. I needed to do that- I didn't.

And I am sorry...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm......is Gaius supposed to rhyme with "see us"?

Personally, I think I would see you as a pissed off human being rightfully wallowing in a well deserved moment of self pity because you've been handed a shit card on the river draw of the Texas Hold 'Em hand of life. Metaphorically speaking.