Balance starts when you get out of bed

Monday, February 19, 2007

The Mayberry Solution

I went to a seminar yesterday about Sustainable Living. The speaker was a teacher at a college aboiut 100 miles from here. He drove a Prius to the lecture- He gets 48 miles to the gallon.

Smart guy- Spent the first 10 minutes explaining about Peak Oil, National Debt, Hurricanes, Global Climate Change and how we are all in the shitter- or soon will be.

Oh yeah, Walmart is bad- Bad, bad, bad.

These are all things I pretty much agree with. Peak Oil- The end of fossil fuels and their use in the world is at an end in next 20 years. Check. National Debt- currency trading- China has more of our bonds than we do- not a good thing. Check. Global Climate Change- all the big brains agree, it's our use of fossil fuels. Check.

I don't like Walmart. I don't shop there- mostly because they treat their people like crap. I also think that importing $15 Billion a year in goods from China through a single distribution arm is wrong for the country and the world.

His solution- We have to go back to real honest to gosh neighborhoods. Where all the people have vegetable gardens in the backyard. Where you walk to work. Where the dollar you spend stays in the local area. Where you buy stuff from a local grocery store, not a place like Walmart (remember, Bad) where your dollar goes to Arkansas- or worse China. Where you don't buy new bright shiny stuff from big places, but you trade stuff with your commnity.

In otherwords- Mayberry. He see's the solution to the world problems is turn back the hands of time and have everyone move back to Mayberry.

He might be right. From a social perspective, if you think about all of our fears- all the pressures of modern society- It's because we go outside of our neighborhoods way too often- We don't stay on our city block. We shop in far away places for stuff from far away lands. We work far away from home. We take our kids all over the state for sports competitions on the weekends- we have become this strange race of stressed out nomads- mostly because we aren't on our own turf, with the people who we live with and hopefully trust as neighbors.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bea, an Andy and a Barney, a Goober and a Gomer? All people we knew and trusted with our lives? Church Socials and picnics, gazebos and the corner grocery store.

But we won't invite Goober- He always creeped me out.

Leave Floyd out too- He was always "Oooohing and Ahhhhing" too much.

There was other stuff that he metioned- more practical stuff, like insulation- Heat loss from poor insulation makes up for 43% of wasted energy in a home. Apparently there was a study in Colorado that said with the new materials avaiable to keep heat in your house- You really shouldnt ever need a furnace- That you could keep your house warm with the junk mail you get through the post. Also, Energy Star appliances- front load washing machines-florecent light bulbs use less than a quarter of the energy than old light bulbs. All good things.

But coming away from the discussion in my head was the Mayberry Solution. The ultimate answer. Turn back the hands of time- shun this Global ecomony as a sad experiment. Embrace your neighbor. But that requires that you take a hard look at your neighbor, which means that they have to take a hard look at you.

I have four vegetable beds in my backyard. Should I go to my neighbors and offer to build them a couple? Should I plant a fruit tree in everyones yard- (these were some of the suggestions he made to me after the meeting)? They already think I am kind of a nut anyway (because of being Vegan) . This would solidfy their thoughts- but if it helps save the world? Isn't it worth it?

Of course I am not naive enough to believe that- I know that changing my neighbors mindset is almost impossible.

In the meantime, I will be calling insulation people and getting estimates. I plan to start planting a couple of fruit trees this spring.

Maybe a another vegetable bed?

3 comments:

Jessica Gottlieb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Gottlieb said...

Okay, the vegan thing creeps me out too (I'm still recovering from a childhood of the 70's) but I'd let ya plant a veggie garden in my yard.

Just one problem.

We live in Los Angeles. Our lots are about 6,000 square feet. Our house is about 3,500 square feet.

Do the math. I can't afford veggies.

Boo hoo! I wanna move!

A Citizen said...

Yeah, we have about an acre of land- so it's not that big of a deal for us. Nobody is going to notice another bed or a couple of fruit trees.

I feel your pain- I grew up in Newport Beach and lived in OC for the better part of 30 years.

That's the reason we live out here-

The vegan thing is about a little over year old. It's amazing how difficult it is explaning to people that I simply don't want to eat something that was moving under it's own power.

Mostly I stopped eating meat because of health reasons- More on that later-